Abu Sabha: Rafah crossing will not be under European control again

18 ديسمبر/كانون الأول 2012 الساعة . 10:12 ص   بتوقيت القدس

Director of crossings in Gaza Maher Abu Sabha said the Rafah border crossing is under full Palestinian sovereignty and there is no need for the European presence.

In a statement published on Sunday, Abu Sabha explained that the Europeans started after the recent truce deal with Israel to talk about their willingness to return to the Rafah crossing to resume their "peacekeeping" operations that had ground to halt after Hamas came to power.
 
"There is no need for their return after they forsake patients who died at the Rafah crossing and needed their intervention," the crossings official stressed.
 
He said if the Europeans wanted to help the Palestinians, they should work on ending the Gaza siege and reconstructing what had been destroyed by the occupation in the last wars.
 
The European union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton has told journalists a few days ago that the union is considering the resumption of its peacekeeping operations at the crossing.